Join the Folklife Program at the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities on Sunday, September 21st, 2014, from 1:00pm to 5:00 pm for the eleventh annual Virginia Folklife Apprenticeship Showcase. We’ll celebrate the graduating class of folklife apprentices and introduce the incoming Virginia Folk Masters, with musical performances, crafts, and food.
The event is free and open to the public. Children and families are welcome. The Virginia Foundation for the Humanities is located next to the Boar’s Head Inn, 145 Ednam Drive, off Route 250 West in Charlottesville. For more information, call 434-924-3296.
This year’s showcase will feature masters of a wide range of Virginia traditions, including:
- Blues and gospel legends The Holmes Brothers
- National Heritage Award winner Flory Jagoda
- Family of Praise gospel choir from Richmond, VA
- Bluegrass and old time music
- Instrument makers
- Wood working trades
- Bee keeping demonstrations
- Real Brunswick stew made on site by the Red Oak Stew Crew
- Oyster Shucking Contest and demonstration with Deborah Pratt and Clementine Macon
And much more!