Newport News Public Library is celebrating Juneteenth with a special exhibit and program. On Saturday, June 19, visit the Main Street Branch for the unveiling of a new exhibit made possible in part by a Virginia Humanities grant: Until Freedom Comes: The African American Experience in Newport News.
Prior to the unveiling, the program will be kicked off with:
- A re-enactment/reading of the Emancipation Proclamation
- Spiritual selections from the Norfolk State Concert Choir
- Message of Hope delivered by Marcia C. Price, Virginia Delegate
- Musical concert by local group Hostile Animals featuring Freedom/Protest songs from the Civil Rights Movement and Motown
- Plus refreshments and Juneteenth crafts for younger visitors
For more information about the exhibit, call 757-592-4858 or follow the Instagram page @SayItLoud_NN.
Virginia Humanities grant recipients are required to follow all CDC and Virginia guidelines regarding COVID safety for all in-person events. Given the distribution of our grantees across the state, we are unable to verify compliance at specific events. If you choose to attend, please take reasonable precautions.