We will be distributing more than $900,000 to humanities and cultural nonprofits across Virginia as part of the American Rescue Plan Act passed by Congress in March 2021. Applications are open from noon on Monday July 12 through Monday, August 16, 2021 at 5:00 PM (EST).
LINKED: Stories Crossing the Color Line
Learn how a grant from Virginia Humanities is helping the Richmond chapter of Coming to the Table expand its work of bringing Virginians together to face the legacy of slavery.
Announcing Twenty-Five New Grants: $181,500 awarded between July 2020 and January 2021. More »
Applicants should contact Virginia Humanities Grants staff at email@example.com or 434-924-3296 in advance of submitting proposals. Draft proposals are strongly encouraged for all applications.
Summer & Winter Grants
- Summer Grant Cycle
- Letter of Intent Due: May 15
- Application Deadline: July 15
- Decisions by Mid-September
- Winter Grant Cycle
- Letter of Intent Due: November 15
- Application Deadline: January 15
- Decisions by Mid-March
- Maximum request: $20,000
- Most Summer and Winter grants are in the $5,000–$10,000 range
- Additional requirements for requests greater than $10,000 (see grant manual for details)
These grants are awarded between regular cycles.
- Proposals may be submitted at any time. Decisions typically within 2-3 weeks
- Maximum request: $5,000
- Most rolling grants are in the $2,000-$3,000 range
- Rolling grants support: planning, first step(s) or phase(s) in a larger project, programs or activities that take place before the next summer or winter grant review period