Notices to Prospective Applicants
- Beneath the Surface grant workshop registration is now open for the October 22 session
- Our online application forms (for Rolling Grants and Beneath the Surface Grants only) are now open. Letters of Intent must be submitted for all Rolling Grant applications. If you are a current grantee, all reporting forms are available.
- The fall application deadline has been extended to October 23, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
- CARES Act Final Reports are due on December 1, 2020
If you have questions or need assistance, contact the grants program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants should contact Virginia Humanities Grants staff at email@example.com or 434-924-3296 in advance of submitting proposals. Draft proposals are strongly encouraged for all applications.
Spring & Fall Grants
- Spring Deadline: April 15, decisions in early June
- Fall Deadline: October 15, decisions in early December (deadline extended to October 23 for 2020 applications)
- Maximum request: $20,000
- Most Spring and Fall grants are in the $5,000–$10,000 range
- Additional requirements for requests greater than $10,000 (see grant manual for details)
These grants are awarded between regular cycles.
- Proposals may be submitted at any time. Decisions typically within 2-3 weeks
- Maximum request: $5,000
- Most rolling grants are in the $2,000-$3,000 range
- Rolling grants support: planning, first step(s) or phase(s) in a larger project, programs or activities that take place before the next spring or fall grant review period
Beneath the Surface
This one-time grant opportunity is the result of a partnership between Virginia Humanities and The Hampton Roads Community Foundation (HRCF) to address issues surrounding race and the history of race in the communities of South Hampton Roads. More »
Two virtual grant-writing / Q & A workshops are being offered. These two workshops will cover the same information, so please register for one session only.
- Register: Wednesday, October 14 | 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Register: Thursday, October 22 | 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Beneath the Surface Deadlines
- Proposal Deadline: December 1, 2020
- Funding Decisions: January 30, 2021
- Grant Period: February 1, 2021 – March 1, 2022
Note: Letters of intent are not required for Beneath the Surface grants.