Virginia Humanities grants may be used to support any of the following (partial list):
- Exhibits—physical and/or online
- Films—including script development, pre-production, and production phases
- Podcasts and radio programs
- Lectures and lecture series
- Community forums and public discussions—including book or film discussions
- Conferences and symposia
- Digital media projects—including website development
- Institutes and similar programs for teachers
- Development of curriculum resources for classroom use
- Print publications—brochures, interpretive maps, exhibit catalogs, books
- Oral histories
- Festivals and interpretive performances
- Research—leading to programs having a direct public audience
NOTE: While COVID-19 restrictions are in place, special consideration will be given to applications for projects designed to deliver programming on digital platforms.
Any non-profit organization may apply for a Virginia Humanities grant, with preference given to those located within the Commonwealth of Virginia. Grants are made to organizations based outside the state only for projects that take place within Virginia’s borders.
Special consideration is given to organizations that have not received a Virginia Humanities grant previously and especially to organizations that are applying for a grant for the first time.
What We Don’t Fund
Virginia Humanities Grants may not be used to support the following:
- Advocacy or political action; programs that promote a particular policy or point of view
- Creative or performing arts, unless used in a supporting role to enhance discussion
- In-school programs or projects whose sole audience is children or youth
- Courses for credit, except those designed especially for teachers
- Research except to support programs having a direct public audience (an exhibit, e.g.)
- International travel
- Refreshments or entertainment; alcoholic beverages
- Awards or gifts
- Meals, other than necessary travel expenses for project personnel
- Building construction, restoration, or renovation
- Expenses outside the grant-period and/or the approved budget
More information on what we fund, the goals of our Grants Program, and our review process and criteria can be found in our Grant Guidelines.